Welcome! Please login so you can add/edit/reply to post. We look forward to hearing what you have to say!
Welcome! Please login so you can add/edit/reply to post. We look forward to hearing what you have to say!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Operation: Leftovers - We are collecting unused pantry items & toiletries to redistribute to needy families, see Kaiserslautern-Local Events or contact Kristin or Tabby for more information! Thanks!

How are he Bugs in the spring and summer.

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Kimmy

Kimmy

How are he Bugs in the spring and summer. Empty
PostSubject: How are he Bugs in the spring and summer.   How are he Bugs in the spring and summer. Icon_minitimeFri Feb 19, 2010 1:30 pm

Ok so I have seen the giant spiders here. Scary big. My question to you all is what other bugs do I have to look out for. I heard it is humid here, are the misquotes here crazy or what. My kids and me are food for those dam things and I want to know how to prepare if they are as bad as the giant spiders. Any info would be good. Thanks Question
Back to top Go down
Kristin
Admin
Admin
Kristin

PostSubject: Re: How are he Bugs in the spring and summer.   How are he Bugs in the spring and summer. Icon_minitimeFri Feb 19, 2010 2:31 pm

The spiders are horrible.. and they have these giant fly eating things that look like mosquitoes that are crazy big... I don't remember the mosquitoes being that bad though, or even seeing any at all, it could be that they don't bother me but the spiders are HUGE, I keep Pine Sol handy at all times, it kills them and I can't even attempt to kill them with a shoe, a lot of them jump and I am terrified of them. lol, I'm a big wuss when it comes to spiders! They have nats here pretty bad too and they flock to the trash, and there is a ton of flies as well... lol seems they have all the same stuff just bigger and in larger quantities!
Back to top Go down
https://livingingermany.forumotion.com
Cjsmommy07

Cjsmommy07

PostSubject: Re: How are he Bugs in the spring and summer.   How are he Bugs in the spring and summer. Icon_minitimeFri Feb 19, 2010 8:59 pm

oh goodness my 3 biggest fears of insects! Bee's, Mosquitos & Spiders. Just great haha. how are the bee's though.
Back to top Go down
Brandy

Brandy

PostSubject: Re: How are he Bugs in the spring and summer.   How are he Bugs in the spring and summer. Icon_minitimeSat Feb 20, 2010 12:39 am

We didn't really have too many issues with bugs when we were living in Garmisch. Though we briefly had an issue with the fruit flies (they looked like gnats to me, but the guy who ran the ferienwohnungen called them fruit flies. *Fruchtfliege* is the German word). We did get an occasional spider. Maybe the lack of bugs is because it never really gets overly hot in the summer there?

Ok, I take a little of that back, I just remembered our daughter got stung by a bee at the Garmisch Subway on post last summer. If you have not visited Garmisch during the warmer months yet, I highly recommend NOT sitting so close to the outside garbage cans at Subway. The bees LOVE to fly around in them when it is warmer out, then they will start to fly around your food. Not fun.

At any rate, I hope we don't have too many bugs here in Heidelberg. So far, so good. Smile

I have not seen ONE mosquito while here in Germany! Hopefully we continue to not see any mosquitoes! Smile
Back to top Go down
Brandy

Brandy

PostSubject: Re: How are he Bugs in the spring and summer.   How are he Bugs in the spring and summer. Icon_minitimeSat Feb 20, 2010 12:43 am

Kristin wrote:
The spiders are horrible.. and they have these giant fly eating things that look like mosquitoes that are crazy big... I don't remember the mosquitoes being that bad though, or even seeing any at all, it could be that they don't bother me but the spiders are HUGE, I keep Pine Sol handy at all times, it kills them and I can't even attempt to kill them with a shoe, a lot of them jump and I am terrified of them. lol, I'm a big wuss when it comes to spiders! They have nats here pretty bad too and they flock to the trash, and there is a ton of flies as well... lol seems they have all the same stuff just bigger and in larger quantities!

EW, I hope your giant spiders don't extend this way! Wink Thanks for the tip on Pine Sol! I'll have to remember that if we get any spiders on steroids here.
Back to top Go down
Laura

Laura

PostSubject: Re: How are he Bugs in the spring and summer.   How are he Bugs in the spring and summer. Icon_minitimeSat Feb 20, 2010 12:46 am

I have found like 3 spiders in my home (all in one day), and other than that none others. They were not too big, about the size of a small wolf spider (I say that because I have seen some HUGE wolf spiders... just not here). I have not seen anything huge... how big are we talking? I HATE spiders!
Back to top Go down
Brandy

Brandy

PostSubject: Re: How are he Bugs in the spring and summer.   How are he Bugs in the spring and summer. Icon_minitimeSat Feb 20, 2010 12:49 am

Laura wrote:
I have found like 3 spiders in my home (all in one day), and other than that none others. They were not too big, about the size of a small wolf spider (I say that because I have seen some HUGE wolf spiders... just not here). I have not seen anything huge... how big are we talking? I HATE spiders!

That is about the size I've seen. My 6 year old daughter keeps trying to tell me spiders are good because they eat the bugs that are in your house. She may be right, but I don't care! Spiders are creepy! affraid
Back to top Go down
Laura

Laura

PostSubject: Re: How are he Bugs in the spring and summer.   How are he Bugs in the spring and summer. Icon_minitimeSat Feb 20, 2010 12:51 am

Spiders are bad, bugs are bad... and it does not matter if spiders eat all the bugs because I kill all the bugs too! *SHUDDERS* I hate anything that is not cute and fuzzy... and caterpillars (sp?) are not cute!Ever... yeah, slight phobia!
Back to top Go down
Kristin
Admin
Admin
Kristin

PostSubject: Re: How are he Bugs in the spring and summer.   How are he Bugs in the spring and summer. Icon_minitimeSat Feb 20, 2010 4:49 am

Yeah I scream and run at the site of any spider... no matter how big (or small) I can't kill them... huge phobia that they are gonna jump and attack me for trying to kill them! lol hubby thinks I'm crazy, I will actually inspect the shower and if one is in it walk away and wait till someone comes to my rescue, can't kill them can't clean the dead ones I want nothing to do with them! That is how I figured out the pine sol, had some in a spray bottle and bamm it did the trick, and left a pleasant smell, lol. I use full strength in a spray bottle and douse it quite a few times, better safe than sorry, lol.

If you don't have screen on your windows I recommend putting some up, you can get it at the Praktiker (sp) and will save you a lot of screaming... I think the bugs are much worse here than in Texas!
Back to top Go down
https://livingingermany.forumotion.com
Kimmy

Kimmy

PostSubject: Re: How are he Bugs in the spring and summer.   How are he Bugs in the spring and summer. Icon_minitimeMon Mar 08, 2010 2:26 am

I have a spider the size of a golf ball in my Garage. That is just the body. My husband wont kill them. He catches them and lets them go. The problem is he walks like two feet from the house and lets them go.... HELLO they can walk..... They just keep coming back. The golf ball has a nest. The little ones are not so bad. I still scream like all hell when I see them though. I bought a spider catcher at the dollar store because I was sick of him using my cups to catch them.
No misquotes? Those vampires love me so I am very worried. If they are supersized like these spiders I am staying indoors.
Back to top Go down
Laura

Laura

PostSubject: Re: How are he Bugs in the spring and summer.   How are he Bugs in the spring and summer. Icon_minitimeMon Mar 08, 2010 4:35 am

OMG that made me laugh! I hate spiders and I make my husband kill them all... the last spider he killed he used a hammer on it, lol.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How are he Bugs in the spring and summer.   How are he Bugs in the spring and summer. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

How are he Bugs in the spring and summer.
Page 1 of 1