Welcome! Please login so you can add/edit/reply to post. We look forward to hearing what you have to say!
Welcome! Please login so you can add/edit/reply to post. We look forward to hearing what you have to say!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Operation: Leftovers - We are collecting unused pantry items & toiletries to redistribute to needy families, see Kaiserslautern-Local Events or contact Kristin or Tabby for more information! Thanks!

Welcome Buddies

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
vkoneness

Welcome Buddies Empty
PostSubject: Welcome Buddies   Welcome Buddies Icon_minitimeSat Feb 27, 2010 9:25 am

I also thought of an idea , for instance if you have regular spnsors that the military gives you , I thought what about having friends that sponsor you, meet you at the airport, take you around,be your buddy until you arrive overseas, you don't have to share the same interest only be available. I like this idea because when we got to our first duty station I met this young lady online and she emiled me all the time, preparing me for my arrival there, she was so nice, when we got there our household goods did not come yet she brought over blankets and sheets, she told me about the post, because I had a photography business she told me how to go about it getting it legalized thru jag so that I may be able to solicit on post, bottom line we remained friends and now she is in japan, if I have questions now I just go to facebook and ask her. I think this will be great coming to germany as well.
I'm sorry so long Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Laura

Laura

Welcome Buddies Empty
PostSubject: Re: Welcome Buddies   Welcome Buddies Icon_minitimeSat Feb 27, 2010 11:30 am

The sponsor will meet you once you get to your duty station, the airport ordeal is very interesting. Where are you going again? A welcome buddy would be cool for once you arrive at your post/lodging. I would have loved something like that since our sponsor was useless and I felt abandoned when we got here.
Back to top Go down
vkoneness

Welcome Buddies Empty
PostSubject: Thanks for responding   Welcome Buddies Icon_minitimeSat Feb 27, 2010 11:39 am

Hello,
I will be coming to Weisbaden, I'm just hoping to build relationships prior to coming to germany
Back to top Go down
Laura

Laura

Welcome Buddies Empty
PostSubject: Re: Welcome Buddies   Welcome Buddies Icon_minitimeSat Feb 27, 2010 11:41 am

Wiesbaden is not far from the Frankfurt Airport, so that might be more doable than if you were going further away!
Back to top Go down
vkoneness

Welcome Buddies Empty
PostSubject: Thanks for responding   Welcome Buddies Icon_minitimeSat Feb 27, 2010 12:29 pm

I'm hoping this works out for me1 Thanks
Back to top Go down
bev :o)

bev :o)

Welcome Buddies Empty
PostSubject: Re: Welcome Buddies   Welcome Buddies Icon_minitimeSat Feb 27, 2010 1:35 pm

vkoneness- I think this is a great idea. Like Laura said, the airport deal is a bit different. I have been emailing back and forth w/ a few ladies state side and plan to meet up with them once they get to their duty station. Bringing over home cooked meals, driving the family around the first couple of days (instead of them having to walk everywhere or paying for a taxi where the only ideas I had. but the linens etc you talked about is an awesome idea too. Kinda like a sponsor for the spouse :O) from a spouse Surprised)
Back to top Go down
vkoneness

Welcome Buddies Empty
PostSubject: Thanks for responding   Welcome Buddies Icon_minitimeSat Feb 27, 2010 10:09 pm

Hello,
This is exactly what I am talking about exactly what you do, I look forward to buddying up with someone, I can actually bug them so much, just kidding, I look forward to this as well, emailing, chatting,talking.
I hope it works out for me
Back to top Go down
Kristin
Admin
Admin
Kristin

Welcome Buddies Empty
PostSubject: Re: Welcome Buddies   Welcome Buddies Icon_minitimeSun Feb 28, 2010 5:04 am

That is pretty much what this site was designed for, support, as I have found none through things like FRG, or anywhere else, we basically just went on a wild goose chase, hubby had a sponsor when he got here, I guess my hubby was my sponsor, lol. but we were clueless that I had to in-process or anything since my hubby had already been here for a year, I actually just now figured it out, after being here for almost a year, I thought everything was taken care of when we went to housing and such, now we have been wayyy over paid on BAH not gotten our dual COLA, I didn't get my no-fee passport because someone told me I didn't need it, lots of stuff, now we're starting to get it all straightened out but it's difficult. It would have been nice to have someone say hey here is what you need to do and let me help you.... I hope that we can provide lots of support and be "welcome buddies" for lots of ladies coming our way. I know I would love to help anyone who comes to our area. I know the FRG has sponsors but, to me, they are pretty much useless. I would be willing to chat it up and e-mail tons to anyone who is interested. I will start a section for "Welcome Buddies". How would you ladies like to handle it, have people "sign-up" to be welcome buddies who are willing to go the extra mile, have the person moving here sign-up and then someone say they are willing to do it? Just let me know how you guys are wanting to handle this as it is all still in the works... I previously had a section called "Battle Buddies", which was a bi-weekly thing where two people were paired up for 2 weeks and had their own forum to chat and what not it it was voluntary but a way to get to know everyone as you wouldn't get the same person twice. It would give us a chance to get to know people individually and possibly build lasting friendships (the goal) Smile
Back to top Go down
https://livingingermany.forumotion.com
Sponsored content

Welcome Buddies Empty
PostSubject: Re: Welcome Buddies   Welcome Buddies Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Welcome Buddies
Page 1 of 1