Welcome! Please login so you can add/edit/reply to post. We look forward to hearing what you have to say!
Welcome! Please login so you can add/edit/reply to post. We look forward to hearing what you have to say!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Operation: Leftovers - We are collecting unused pantry items & toiletries to redistribute to needy families, see Kaiserslautern-Local Events or contact Kristin or Tabby for more information! Thanks!

Group Meetings

Go down 
+3
Mommy Jackie
mommy2b
Kristin
7 posters

How would you like to have meetings?
Everyone meet at a central location (middle point)
Group Meetings Vote_lcap15%Group Meetings Vote_rcap
 15% [ 2 ]
Meet at different bases each month (requires traveling)
Group Meetings Vote_lcap15%Group Meetings Vote_rcap
 15% [ 2 ]
Each base have own get togethers?
Group Meetings Vote_lcap62%Group Meetings Vote_rcap
 62% [ 8 ]
Not interested in Meetings
Group Meetings Vote_lcap8%Group Meetings Vote_rcap
 8% [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 13

Poll closed

AuthorMessage
Kristin
Admin
Admin
Kristin

Group Meetings Empty
PostSubject: Group Meetings   Group Meetings Icon_minitimeThu Feb 18, 2010 6:13 am

so several of you have shown interest in having get togethers. What are you interested in? Having monthly/bi-montly/random meetings as a group? Meetings by location? I think that at first we should meet on base and then after a few meetings we could start meeting at different places in Germany, like a weekend trip to various places. Since spring is coming up we could have picnics and family meetings where we could all hang out and the hubbys wouldn't be so bored, lol. I'd like to hear what y'all think? Let's all toss out some ideas and get this going! I would also like to thank you all for showing such great interest in this group! I am super excited to see all of you on here... Y'all Rock!

Last edited by Kristin on Thu Feb 18, 2010 6:47 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
https://livingingermany.forumotion.com
mommy2b

mommy2b

Group Meetings Empty
PostSubject: Re: Group Meetings   Group Meetings Icon_minitimeThu Feb 18, 2010 6:20 am

I agree that meeting on post would be a great idea to get us all started. I dont know if monthly meetings or if bi-monthly meetings would be better. I would be a little more inclined to think that we would get more intrest in a bi-monthly meeting ecspecially starting out. Picnics and outside meetings would be great for Spring and Summer. The hubbys could toss the football or play a little softball or something. We have a lake with picnic areas here on Graf so that would be cool. Also I know Ramstein has a golf course, do they have a meeting area there as well? I know every post seems to have a bowling alley which is always a great place to meet and interact.
Back to top Go down
Mommy Jackie

Group Meetings Empty
PostSubject: Re: Group Meetings   Group Meetings Icon_minitimeThu Feb 18, 2010 6:56 am

I think going to different posts would be super cool - it would force some of us newbies to venture out, lol. But, I am up for anything!!!
Back to top Go down
Kristin
Admin
Admin
Kristin

Group Meetings Empty
PostSubject: Re: Group Meetings   Group Meetings Icon_minitimeThu Feb 18, 2010 6:59 am

that's what I was telling the hubby... if we went to different places we could visit places we might not have otherwise gone... while he goes to Graf all the time I don't, lol. As long as it wasn't too far away and is on the weekend we're down for just about anything!
Back to top Go down
renaeb21

renaeb21

Group Meetings Empty
PostSubject: Re: Group Meetings   Group Meetings Icon_minitimeThu Feb 18, 2010 7:53 am

I think it would be great for each base to have their own get-togethers maybe on a monthly basis, and then we could also have a "big" get-together for everyone (from any/all bases) that meets maybe bi-monthly. That one could travel from base to base....that way, we could meet up with the locals in our own areas on a more routine basis, but still have an opportunity to meet and interact with everyone else as well.

If anyone is interested, we could even start up a ladies' group similar to one I started with a friend when we were stationed in Okinawa. It turned into a thriving group of ladies who ended up being good friends. We did all sorts of things together....from trips to local tourist-type places, to shopping, to karaoke night, to murder mystery dinners....it was a great way to meet people, make friends, see the local area, and have a blast. I was thinking of starting such a group anyway but didn't really know where to go to get the word out.
Back to top Go down
Kristin
Admin
Admin
Kristin

Group Meetings Empty
PostSubject: Re: Group Meetings   Group Meetings Icon_minitimeThu Feb 18, 2010 8:22 am

I think that sounds wonderful! If we did the monthly get together at individual bases we could have it like a pot luck type thing at various places, I like the idea of having individual base meetings and then every couple of months travel to other bases. Loving that this is all picking up! y'all ROCK!
Back to top Go down
hispeaceinthedisaster

hispeaceinthedisaster

Group Meetings Empty
PostSubject: Re: Group Meetings   Group Meetings Icon_minitimeThu Feb 18, 2010 9:34 am

i think this group meeting is great! but the issues here are, not everyone has a vehicle to travel with, and not everyone knows their way around. so i think having bi-monthly home base meetings and every other month a trip or a meeting on a different post or in a restaurant or something like that. personally i can't wait to get this resolved and start meeting!
Back to top Go down
Kristin
Admin
Admin
Kristin

Group Meetings Empty
PostSubject: Re: Group Meetings   Group Meetings Icon_minitimeThu Feb 18, 2010 9:53 am

hmmm... we should get a plan and execute! even if it starts out just being 2 or 3 eventually it will gain people/momentum and grow bigger... This is exactly what I was wanting out of this grou!!! Thanks ladies for making it happen!

Here is what I propose.... we set a meeting date... say the second weekend of the month at a central location for each base area... say the base park, by next month it should be warm enough and if not we could move it indoors! if it is on base it wont be too far for the people without transportation to be picked up... I have no problem doing that... as we all live relatively close to base! For the people in my area I wouldn't mind cooking up something to chow on while we all get to know each other!

I think we should set one person for each area to be the coordinator for that particular area to send out IM's and so forth letting them know what is going on... I will add new categories for each area so we know how many from individual areas are interested! But I need to find out how many areas we have.

I think the first meeting should be in a public place where everyone is comfortable to let people get to know each other.

I vote we shoot to start this off next month... it will give us 1 month to get the ball rolling and all the kinks worked out, otherwise I'm down for this weekend, lol hubby is going to the field Sad !

How is this all starting to sound to you guys???
Back to top Go down
mommy2b

mommy2b

Group Meetings Empty
PostSubject: Re: Group Meetings   Group Meetings Icon_minitimeThu Feb 18, 2010 2:03 pm

Sounds great to me and next month would be a good time to start. By then there wil be more members I am sure, look how much it has grown in just a few days! After a meet on our own post we can come back and blog about it and maybe setup a bigger meet. I am def down to cook up something and make this into a potluck picnic Saturday here is Graf. Let me know what needs to be done for all of to get this rolling. I am so excited!
Back to top Go down
renaeb21

renaeb21

Group Meetings Empty
PostSubject: Re: Group Meetings   Group Meetings Icon_minitimeThu Feb 18, 2010 2:34 pm

Kristin, that sounds perfect. That's exactly how we ran our group in Okinawa--pick a date each month, set up the meeting, and those that can attend do, those that can't just try for the next month. Otherwise you spend so much time trying to pin down a date that works for everyone, and that's just not possible to do. Smile

Also the first couple of meetings being at a public place is perfect--we did the same--it's less intimidating.

Now, I think we should hammer out one last detail--do we want these meetings to be open to family (i.e. husbands, kids) or just for the ladies? I personally vote for it to be a ladies' group--I think you get to know each other on a more personal level without the hubbies and/or kids around to distract. Smile We could definitely have events from time to time that would be open to family, but on a routine basis, I'd really prefer it to be time for us girls--we spend so much time taking care of the kids and husbands that we need a little time for ourselves too!
Back to top Go down
Kristin
Admin
Admin
Kristin

Group Meetings Empty
PostSubject: Re: Group Meetings   Group Meetings Icon_minitimeThu Feb 18, 2010 2:45 pm

I think ladies day sounds great... I don't have any kids and I'm sure y'all need a break now and then... but what about the ladies that can't get sitters? Do we just leave them out??? I'd rather not do that, I don't want anyone left out!

Does the 2nd weekend of the month work for everyone?
Back to top Go down
renaeb21

renaeb21

Group Meetings Empty
PostSubject: Re: Group Meetings   Group Meetings Icon_minitimeThu Feb 18, 2010 2:51 pm

Yeah I know what you mean about not leaving people out. I don't know why, but we never had a problem with it in our last group--I guess they wanted to attend so badly that they all found sitters or got husbands to do it. However, I will say that the deployment tempo wasn't as heavy then as it is now, so I'm sure that had a lot to do with the ladies being able to get their husbands to do it on a routine basis. Now it seems husbands are gone alllll the time for deployments.

I hadn't thought of that but you're right. Maybe we could do an occasional ladies-only event instead then....
Back to top Go down
maddysgurl

maddysgurl

Group Meetings Empty
PostSubject: REPLYING TO renaeb21's POST   Group Meetings Icon_minitimeThu Feb 18, 2010 5:01 pm

THAT'S JUST THE THING...MOST OF US HAVE HUBBY'S THAT ARE DEPLOYED, AND CHILDCARED GET'S TOO EXPENSIVE OR TOO HARD TO GET HOURLY SLOTS!!!!
I THINK IT WOULD BE EASIER TO HAVE IT AS AN OPEN MEETING...MEANING BRING ANYONE U WOULD LIKE, THAT WAY IT'S NOT JUST US "LADIES" GETING TO KNOW NEW PEOPLE, BUT FOR A CHANCE FOR THE GUYS AND KIDS TO MEET NEW PEOPLE AS WELL. AND THE MEETINGS CAN BE HELD IN THE CAC PLAYROOMS DURING NASTY WEATHER, AND AT THE PARKS DURING NICE WEATHER!!! WE CAN DO BBQ'S AND LET THE KIDS AND GUYS PLAY WHILE THE LADIES TALK AND GET TO KNOW ONE ANOTHER!!! I'VE BEEN HERE SINCE JULY 9TH 2008 AND THIS IS THE VERY REASON WHY I HARDLY KNOW ANYONE...EVERYONE ALWAYS WANTS TO MEET WITHOUT THE KIDS OR FAMILY...AND THAT'S JUST NOT ALWAYS POSSIBLE, ESPECIALLY SINCE MY HUBBY AND MOST OF US HERE AT BAMBERG'S SPOUSES ARE DEPLOYED!!!

BESIDES, ISN'T THIS GROUP SUPPOSED TO BE AN EASIER WAY FOR US ALL TO MEET NEW PEOPLE AND NOT JUST "THE LADIES">>> IF THAT WERE THE CASE, I THINK THE NAME OF THE GROUP SHOULD BE CHANGED!!! THANKS!!!

renaeb21 wrote:
Kristin, that sounds perfect. That's exactly how we ran our group in Okinawa--pick a date each month, set up the meeting, and those that can attend do, those that can't just try for the next month. Otherwise you spend so much time trying to pin down a date that works for everyone, and that's just not possible to do. Smile

Also the first couple of meetings being at a public place is perfect--we did the same--it's less intimidating.

Now, I think we should hammer out one last detail--do we want these meetings to be open to family (i.e. husbands, kids) or just for the ladies? I personally vote for it to be a ladies' group--I think you get to know each other on a more personal level without the hubbies and/or kids around to distract. Smile We could definitely have events from time to time that would be open to family, but on a routine basis, I'd really prefer it to be time for us girls--we spend so much time taking care of the kids and husbands that we need a little time for ourselves too!
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/dana_wilson3
renaeb21

renaeb21

Group Meetings Empty
PostSubject: Re: Group Meetings   Group Meetings Icon_minitimeThu Feb 18, 2010 10:33 pm

Hi maddysgurl,

Please see my second post, right above yours. I have kids too so I understand getting childcare can be a difficulty. I honestly was not trying to leave anyone out or make it difficult for anyone. I just had a great time with the group I created before and it was never an issue for it to be a "no kids" group at that particular place and time. That apparently isn't going to work/isn't wanted here, I understand that and it's fine.

On that note, my husband has to work 12-hour shifts this weekend so I get to be with the kids by myself all weekend after being stuck in the house with them the past week with all these snow days....oh joy! Wink

Have a great Friday and weekend everyone!
Back to top Go down
mommy2b

mommy2b

Group Meetings Empty
PostSubject: Re: Group Meetings   Group Meetings Icon_minitimeThu Feb 18, 2010 11:59 pm

I agree with maddysgurl. I am due with my first in 12 weeks and my husband works some crazy hours sometimes and there are many times I would not be able to attend due to the fact we are going to have a newborn. Also as women we are not the only ones that have trouble meeting new people. My husband has a small unit and they dont get to really meet alot of different people so if hubbys attended it would help them and then people with small childeren who arent school age yet and stay at home with their moms may be missing opportunities to meet other kids. The deployment rate here in Graf/Vilseck is pretty high and someone is always deployed or about to deploy. I would be much more inclined to do family outings with the option of coming alone and then a ladies night as well. I think for our area family friendly is much better.
Back to top Go down
Kristin
Admin
Admin
Kristin

Group Meetings Empty
PostSubject: Re: Group Meetings   Group Meetings Icon_minitimeFri Feb 19, 2010 12:55 am

I think it would be best as well too keep it family oriented... I do EVERYTHING pretty much with my hubby as you never know when they are gonna leave... the only thing he doesn't do with me is shopping, lol, he leaves that for girl time! I really don't want anyone left out we're all here to meet people and such, besides it would be for the kids and hubbies to meet people as well... kids can play, hubby's can bbq and we can gossip, lol.
Back to top Go down
Cjsmommy07

Cjsmommy07

Group Meetings Empty
PostSubject: Re: Group Meetings   Group Meetings Icon_minitimeFri Feb 19, 2010 1:59 am

Although Im not there physically. I should be there by the end of next month [keeping my fingers crossed] & i would love to join a meeting & I think this site is going to bring alot of ladies together & start a whole lot of friendships lol.
Back to top Go down
mommy2b

mommy2b

Group Meetings Empty
PostSubject: Re: Group Meetings   Group Meetings Icon_minitimeFri Feb 19, 2010 3:14 am

Not sure if everyone knows, but there is a section under your post about local meetings so that everyone can get the ball rolling in their area. I didnt realize until a few minutes ago.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Group Meetings Empty
PostSubject: Re: Group Meetings   Group Meetings Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Group Meetings
Page 1 of 1