Welcome! Please login so you can add/edit/reply to post. We look forward to hearing what you have to say!
Welcome! Please login so you can add/edit/reply to post. We look forward to hearing what you have to say!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Operation: Leftovers - We are collecting unused pantry items & toiletries to redistribute to needy families, see Kaiserslautern-Local Events or contact Kristin or Tabby for more information! Thanks!

Garmisch, Germany

Go down 
+5
bev :o)
Rachelle
jjaponte
Kristin
mommy2b
9 posters
AuthorMessage
mommy2b

mommy2b

Garmisch, Germany Empty
PostSubject: Garmisch, Germany   Garmisch, Germany Icon_minitimeWed Feb 17, 2010 11:05 am

We have been to Garmisch twice, once in the winter and once in the summer, and it was so beautiful both times. The Partnach Gorge is a must see but you have to be willing to do some walking. It takes you through the mountains and next to the waterfalls and springs. The Zugspitze is a must do anytime of the year. It is the highest peak in Germany and breath taking. We stayed at the Eidelweiss resort both times which has a heated indoor pool, hot tub, sauna, steam room, in hotel dining and bar, and a spa. They also have a place where you can make reservations for so many activities. They also have cabins and camp grounds for the outdoorsy Very Happy . We have friends that have stayed at differnent guest houses and loved it as well.
Back to top Go down
Kristin
Admin
Admin
Kristin

Garmisch, Germany Empty
PostSubject: Re: Garmisch, Germany   Garmisch, Germany Icon_minitimeWed Feb 17, 2010 11:33 am

The hubby and I really wanted to go to Garmisch over the Christmas holidays but went to Amsterdam instead... we will totally be hitting this place up! Thanks for the info on the hotel!
Back to top Go down
https://livingingermany.forumotion.com
jjaponte

Garmisch, Germany Empty
PostSubject: requesting more info   Garmisch, Germany Icon_minitimeThu Feb 18, 2010 2:00 am

how much did the entire trip cost. please break it down cause if it all sounds reasonable, im there...lol
Back to top Go down
mommy2b

mommy2b

Garmisch, Germany Empty
PostSubject: Re: Garmisch, Germany   Garmisch, Germany Icon_minitimeThu Feb 18, 2010 2:57 am

We spent less than $500 dollars, that includes hotel, eating, and activities. We also stayed there for 4 nights and 5 days. The hotel Edelweiss is based on your rank in the military $86 $139 $149 for a standard room. The cabins are a little cheaper but would prob be more ideal in the warmer months. You may be able to find a cheaper deal at a geust house as well. Edelweiss is not pet friendly either so if you are bringing your furry babies then a guest house would be the better idea. Dining of course varies depending on family size, conversion rate, and if you eat at the hotel or on the economy. The Partnach Gorge is about 2 Euro a person so it is very cheap and oh so beautiful. The Zugspitze, you have to take a train thing or lift, so it is 27 Euro I think. A little more exspensive but well worth it. Of course cost can be cut if you dont go out for every meal or if you get a cheaper hotel rate. I hope this helps!
Back to top Go down
Rachelle

Rachelle

Garmisch, Germany Empty
PostSubject: Re: Garmisch, Germany   Garmisch, Germany Icon_minitimeThu Feb 18, 2010 8:23 am

Thanks for the info! That sounds like a great trip!!!
Back to top Go down

Garmisch, Germany Empty
PostSubject: Re: Garmisch, Germany   Garmisch, Germany Icon_minitimeThu Feb 18, 2010 12:28 pm

I was at first bummed about the Edelweiss non-pet policy...but they quickly referred be to an AWESOME kennel that is right up the road from the post, like 5min. and only 10euro a day. My maltese was in his own "puppy hotel". We picked him up and did trips and then would bring him back in the evening to sleep, one of the days it was very rainy and so we opted for him to stay in, and that wasy okay too, its 10euros flat. at least for the dogs Surprised) (well mine is small, I can't say for sure if that is for big dogs too, but i think yes). just need up to date shot records Surprised) if anyone wants the telephone number feel free to ask Surprised)
Back to top Go down
Texan83

Texan83

Garmisch, Germany Empty
PostSubject: Re: Garmisch, Germany   Garmisch, Germany Icon_minitimeFri Feb 19, 2010 1:01 am

That sounds awesome! I have always wanted to go to Zugspitze, but I did not realize that the Eidelweiss resort was so close to it. We just got here so we may not be able to go for a few months, but I do know that is the first place I am going. Thanks for the great info mommy2b!! cheers
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/CrystalDawnArnolts
renaeb21

renaeb21

Garmisch, Germany Empty
PostSubject: Re: Garmisch, Germany   Garmisch, Germany Icon_minitimeFri Feb 19, 2010 1:22 am

A great alternative to Edelweiss is to stay in the NATO school lodge that is located in Oberammergau (about 20 minutes from Edleweiss). You can almost always get a room there on the weekends when there are no classes being held, and it's a ghost town--you basically get the whole place to yourself. We got a family room, big enough to sleep us and our 2 children, for only 65 euro a night and that includes free breakfast buffet in the mornings. Smile

The hotel restaurant is closed on Fridays and Saturdays (besides for breakfast, that is) but there are plenty of restaurants nearby in the village. It's a cute little village with lots of shops.

It was neat to get away from the hustle and bustle of Edelweiss, but still be close enough to see all the Garmisch attractions, and a budget-friendly alternative if anyone is looking for that.
Back to top Go down
mommy2b

mommy2b

Garmisch, Germany Empty
PostSubject: Re: Garmisch, Germany   Garmisch, Germany Icon_minitimeFri Feb 19, 2010 3:06 am

I knew nothing about the NATO hotel. Thats a really cool, idea and you get breakfast which you have to pay for at Edelweiss.
Back to top Go down

Garmisch, Germany Empty
PostSubject: Re: Garmisch, Germany   Garmisch, Germany Icon_minitimeMon Feb 22, 2010 4:00 pm

renaeb21:
thanks for the info on the other hotel. There have been a few times that we wanted to go to garmisch, but rooms were all booked up. My husband and I are definitely going to check this out next time Surprised)
Back to top Go down
tabby

tabby

Garmisch, Germany Empty
PostSubject: Re: Garmisch, Germany   Garmisch, Germany Icon_minitimeFri Mar 12, 2010 3:48 am

we have been trying to get to garmisch/eidelweiss since we got here over a year ago lol but everytime i go to make reservations its always full. booo. i think ill check that NATO hotel. could you send me some more info on that? like did you take a taxi around or a bus or what attractions are close enough to do?
Back to top Go down

Garmisch, Germany Empty
PostSubject: Re: Garmisch, Germany   Garmisch, Germany Icon_minitimeThu Mar 18, 2010 1:55 am

Hi Tabby,
We ran into Edelweiss being booked up as well. We ended up staying at a few bed&breakfasts that were nice. We were still able to use all the amenities at edelweiss, but had to pay a small fee for the pool usage.
Back to top Go down
Brandy

Brandy

Garmisch, Germany Empty
PostSubject: Re: Garmisch, Germany   Garmisch, Germany Icon_minitimeThu Mar 18, 2010 2:32 am

Just a note to those of you who like a bargain. Make sure to check out the PowerZone section in Garmisch. It is actually a speck compared to everywhere else, but since they only have so much room to hold movies and music, the will mark older things down to 50 and 75% off. I got the first Curious George movie for $3 last year! Smile I've gotten CD's (like Toby Keith and Papa Roach) for $6, where I would probably still get it for full price in a place like K-Town or Graf since they have the room to keep stuff out. They also mark their Yankee Candle stuff down to a steal sometimes too, especially when it is stuff going out of season. They also mark that stuff down to around 50-75% off. I stocked up on the Fresh Cut Roses scent in the fall before we moved to Heidelberg.
Back to top Go down
tabby

tabby

Garmisch, Germany Empty
PostSubject: Re: Garmisch, Germany   Garmisch, Germany Icon_minitimeThu Mar 18, 2010 4:18 am

do you have the names of the B&B's you all stayed at? Id LOVE to do that!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Garmisch, Germany Empty
PostSubject: Re: Garmisch, Germany   Garmisch, Germany Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Garmisch, Germany
Page 1 of 1