Welcome! Please login so you can add/edit/reply to post. We look forward to hearing what you have to say!
Welcome! Please login so you can add/edit/reply to post. We look forward to hearing what you have to say!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Operation: Leftovers - We are collecting unused pantry items & toiletries to redistribute to needy families, see Kaiserslautern-Local Events or contact Kristin or Tabby for more information! Thanks!

Burg Eltz Castle

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
bev :o)

Burg Eltz Castle Empty
PostSubject: Burg Eltz Castle   Burg Eltz Castle Icon_minitimeWed Mar 03, 2010 10:02 am

Burg Eltz is one of my favorite castles in Germany! It's 40km east of Cochem. Burg Eltz is one of the very few castles in Germany that is owned by the same family for more than 800 yrs. The castle was built on top a rock , that is almost totally surrounded by a small river. When you come up to Burg Eltz you will have to pay a few euros for parking. You can choose to walk a narrow path leading to the castle-entrance or take the small bus down for 1.50 per person and if you also want to take it back up the hill, you will again have to pay 1.50 per person. My husband and I usually walk down but the steep hill during the summer makes me cringe....so we opt for the bus ride back up.
A draw-bridge was used to defend it in medieval times. The eldest part of the castle dates back to the 12th century, and more and more "modern" parts were added in the later centuries step by step, and so the castle as it looks today is more like a mosaique of different architectural styles.
There is a castle-courtyard which doesnt cost and has a nice view. You can take a guided tour for 6 euros through the ancient living-rooms of the " Edlen Herren von Burg Eltz" with plenty of works of art and great furniture. You won't be able to take pictures on the tour,but can take them everywhere else. There is a gift shop and also a place to eat.
If u go during the warmer months, I recommend also walking down to the river. There are a few other trails you can take to the castle, however we have not taken those, but you can read about them on their site Surprised)

www.burgeltz.de
Gräflich Eltz'sche Kastellanei
Burg Eltz
D-56294 Münstermaifeld
telephone # 49 (2672) 9 50 50 - 0

hours of operation: the castle is open 1april-1nov
930-530(last tour)

the tours go every 15-20min and last about 40minutes
you also need to let them know at the ticket booth that your interested in an english speaking tour Surprised)

Prices: 8euros per adult / 5.50 per child/student/senior
you can also get a family ticket 2adults/2kids for 24.euros

Have fun and don't forget your walking shoes and water Surprised)
Back to top Go down
Tina M.

Tina M.

Burg Eltz Castle Empty
PostSubject: Re: Burg Eltz Castle   Burg Eltz Castle Icon_minitimeThu Mar 04, 2010 8:06 am

Bev you know of so many great trips!! Wanna be my tour guide? LOL

Tina
Back to top Go down

Burg Eltz Castle Empty
PostSubject: Re: Burg Eltz Castle   Burg Eltz Castle Icon_minitimeThu Mar 04, 2010 9:30 am

Lol....Your too sweet Tina! We've lived here since '05 and been stationed at 3 posts within germany. So we've seen a lot. Now my goal is to visit places like Italy, Ireland, Rome, Venice, Prague...anyhoo you get my drift Surprised) So Ryanair, hopefully here we come!!!!!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Burg Eltz Castle Empty
PostSubject: Re: Burg Eltz Castle   Burg Eltz Castle Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Burg Eltz Castle
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: The Basics :: Trips to take :: Vacation Spots-
Jump to: