Welcome! Please login so you can add/edit/reply to post. We look forward to hearing what you have to say!
Welcome! Please login so you can add/edit/reply to post. We look forward to hearing what you have to say!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Operation: Leftovers - We are collecting unused pantry items & toiletries to redistribute to needy families, see Kaiserslautern-Local Events or contact Kristin or Tabby for more information! Thanks!

Using Space A

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
enelicious1328

Using Space A Empty
PostSubject: Using Space A   Using Space A Icon_minitimeSat Feb 20, 2010 2:37 pm

My husband is going to the field soon and i dont want to be b y myself here for the whole month and a half and i was wondering if i can get space a to go over there and come back? i have a baby boy and i hardly know anyone so i wanted to know how it works and if i can get it to go and come back
Back to top Go down
Kristin
Admin
Admin
Kristin

Using Space A Empty
PostSubject: Re: Using Space A   Using Space A Icon_minitimeSat Feb 20, 2010 9:22 pm

I have never flown Space A but I know you have to have approval and such. A friend of mine did it and actually spent 2 extra months in the states because she wasn't able to get back, her hubby had to come back without her she said it was a huge pain and she spent more in hotel fees, food and such than it would have cost to just buy the ticket. I know there are sites you can get tickets real cheap. I buy through [url=cheaptickets.com]cheaptickets.com[/url] and have always gotten really good prices, I've seen them as low as $400 and the most I've paid is $900. You can call them as well, they are extremely helpful and will work it so it is the cheapest possible ticket.

Hope this helps!
Back to top Go down
https://livingingermany.forumotion.com
bev :o)

bev :o)

Using Space A Empty
PostSubject: Re: Using Space A   Using Space A Icon_minitimeSun Feb 21, 2010 1:49 am

When u fly space a, you are in categories. I was cat 5 because I went without my hubby and he wasnt deployed. If he would have traveled w/me or been deployed I would have moved up to cat 3. They start w/ cat 1 and then work through cat 6. I have a telephone number/website to the terminal in ramstein and will post it later today. The sooner you know you want to fly space a the better. I think you can be on the list for up to 60 days So if you know at 60days out that you want to fly at a certain date, get on the list. what will happen is by the time you do actually want to fly you will be at the top of the list. You will also need to put yourself on the list for coming back as well. Your name has to be on the list for each terminal you are wanting to either hop on or off from. So for ex.
I am flying out of Ramstein and into Deleware. My families name has to be put on both terminals list. Surprised) to get on the list you have to have a letter from your chain of command stating you are command sponsored, pic of your id, you MUST have the sofa in your passport and if your active duty spouse is going(their approved leave form). I might be missing something, but this is the just of it. They will sell you a box meal for 3.00 which is a pretty good amount to hold ya over. It can get cold or hot on the plane, so you'll need to prepare for layers, or just bring a blanket Surprised) I wore pants that day and brought an hoodie and long sleeved shirt and was good. At the end of my trip, I ended up having to get a one way airline ticket back to ramstein, because I couldnt get a flight out, but I was trying to travel in the middle of july, which the summer/holidays are peak time.
Back to top Go down
enelicious1328

Using Space A Empty
PostSubject: Re: Using Space A   Using Space A Icon_minitimeThu Feb 25, 2010 8:54 am

bev Surprised) wrote:
When u fly space a, you are in categories. I was cat 5 because I went without my hubby and he wasnt deployed. If he would have traveled w/me or been deployed I would have moved up to cat 3. They start w/ cat 1 and then work through cat 6. I have a telephone number/website to the terminal in ramstein and will post it later today. The sooner you know you want to fly space a the better. I think you can be on the list for up to 60 days So if you know at 60days out that you want to fly at a certain date, get on the list. what will happen is by the time you do actually want to fly you will be at the top of the list. You will also need to put yourself on the list for coming back as well. Your name has to be on the list for each terminal you are wanting to either hop on or off from. So for ex.
I am flying out of Ramstein and into Deleware. My families name has to be put on both terminals list. Surprised) to get on the list you have to have a letter from your chain of command stating you are command sponsored, pic of your id, you MUST have the sofa in your passport and if your active duty spouse is going(their approved leave form). I might be missing something, but this is the just of it. They will sell you a box meal for 3.00 which is a pretty good amount to hold ya over. It can get cold or hot on the plane, so you'll need to prepare for layers, or just bring a blanket Surprised) I wore pants that day and brought an hoodie and long sleeved shirt and was good. At the end of my trip, I ended up having to get a one way airline ticket back to ramstein, because I couldnt get a flight out, but I was trying to travel in the middle of july, which the summer/holidays are peak time.

you can get a commercial flight to rammstein and what do you mean by the sofa stamp?
Back to top Go down
htasha76

Using Space A Empty
PostSubject: SPACE A   Using Space A Icon_minitimeFri Feb 26, 2010 12:08 am

my experience with space A was pretty good, we got a flight to Mc Guire and back to Ramstein the same day with only a few hours of waiting time in each Terminal. Flying to Conus we had been in a C17 which was really really cold, we have brought sleeping bags and blankets and it was still cold, we used space A February and March of last year, coming back we've been on a C5 and that plane was really good but they rerouted us to Spangdahlem which wasn't to bad since we contaced friends right before we flew out of Jersey to pick us up.... the C17 is pretty noisy and you need to use earplugs, I don't know if I would go on on a C17 with an infant, but we had one lady with an infant on the plane and she said the baby did fine...all in all if you have a big family and you can't afford to fly to conus commercial I would recommend Space A. I don't know how it is in the summer time since we used the off season since our child wasn't in school at that time, also my husband had almost 4 weeks leave and we had the plan to have like 6 days to come back, but like I said we got lucky and got a same day flight. Since we used space A we could afford to go to Disney and stay in the Shades of Green, we had a great time visiting family and friends up and down the east coast. All in all I don't know if I would go by myself on Cat 5 but with him being on Cat 3 it was all in all a great experience and if we wouldn't have an IPCOP flight coming up we would do it again.

here are the Ramstein Terminal phone #, they are usually really helpful, my husband had to go there at 4 am in the morning to sign us in, he needed our Passports to do that though....

A travel recording phone number is available: 480-5364 (Commercial: 06371-47-5364). For additional information, call 479-4440 (Commercial: 06371-46-4440)

good luck......
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Using Space A Empty
PostSubject: Re: Using Space A   Using Space A Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Using Space A
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: The Basics :: Baumholder :: Meeting-
Jump to: